06 December 2021

The Creatures Community Spirit

So it's 2021, I was kindly put forward to be voted a co-coordinator with Freya, and I was honoured to accept.

After agreeing to it, I realised quickly how much work goes into such things, and my own life became bogged down with money concerns, new jobs, health concerns, healing, COVID, wedding plans, Bird Flu season, etc.

I'm not going into all that because I want to say how amazing it has been to a part of a friendly, nurturing and accepting community. I have maintained my website, initially for my own interest, to express my love for the series.

As time went on I found myself spending more and more time posting my own creations and discoveries, and reposting more and more amazing things made long ago by other community members.

When Geocities went down, many of the older websites stopped existing and my self-appointed task became to preserve and distribute as many of the things from them as possible.

Luckily initiatives such as Oocities and especially Wayback Machine starting bringing back content from long defunct webpages, so I began to rebuild the treasure trove of information and downloads from the earliest days of the internet through to the current day.

Over the years I seemed to have become one of the longest lasting websites around dedicated purely to the original simulation, and I felt that my website had become a kind of digital museum: free of entry, free of membership fees and adverts, open to all to come and see and share.

I kept this up, realising that to stop now would be churlish, so I continue to play, I continue to update, and I preserve anything I find for future players.

I regret none of my time on Creatures, I avoided the odd scraps of toxic content, and regard the whole as a project I'm glad I've spend twenty years on, I've learned so much about life, people, programming and artificial biological systems.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Committees and Comformity

 So I went to the AGM of our allotment association for the first time in the four years we've had allotments there. To be fair there has...